Thursday, September 6, 2007

What a Lowsy Day

We won't talk about my car breaking down on me today. *sniff* That seemed to be the major problem of the day, until I heard that this guy:



...was dead.

...

Dammit.

Pavarotti was one of my favorite artists. Look at my opera collection, and his name appears in over a third of the list. Needless to say, I greatly admired Luciano, and although I knew he was suffering from cancer, I hoped he would make it through so that I might possibly be able to see him sing again. Alas, it was not to be.

I won't say anything about it. It's just one more person on my list of people I admire that's kicked the bucket, right?

Everyone knows Pavarotti, and I know he will be sorely missed. *sigh*

The BBC has some good coverage here.

Here's a great story about the intimate life and person of Pavarotti. Definitely worth the short read.

I should also mention that iTunes has put up a whole section devoted to Pavarotti, which you should see from the homepage of the iTunes store. Lots of good stuff.

What do I recommend most? It's hard to pick out songs from opera, because like classical pieces, there isn't a whole lot of stand-alone 5-min pieces. But here is a selection of some great pieces that go good alone, or with their associated full works. Some obvious. Some perhaps not. Please enjoy.

Core 'Ngrato (Tutto Pavarotti album is best)
Mattinata (Romantica: The Very Best of Luciano Pavarotti)
Vesti La Giubba - Pagliacci (Essential Opera)
Torna a Surriento (Romantica: The Very Best of Luciano Pavarotti)
"Come un Bel Di Di Maggio" (Andrea Chenier; Luciano Pavarotti: The Best)
"Se Il Mio Giunger T'oltraggia" (William Tell; Pavarotti & Freni: Arias & Duets)
Fedora, Act II, Amor ti vieta (Romantica: The Very Best of Luciano Pavarotti)
Nessun Dorma (Pavarotti's Greatest Hits)
Caruso
La Boheme - Che gelida manina
Notte 'e Piscatore (Pavarotti & Andre Boccelli)
Granada (Pavarotti, Domingo & Carreras In Concert)
Maria, Mari

None of those will disappoint.


Pavarotti. The man may be gone, but his talent and inspiring voice will live on forever!

"Adieu maestro"

No comments: